Class a CDL City Driver
Kansas City, MO
FedEx Freight is hiring Class A CDL Drivers.
As a Class A CDL Driver you will pick up and deliver freight between service centers and customers and support the selling process.
• 1 year of experience within most recent three (3) years or successful completion of FedEx Freight Driver Development Course.
• Must possess a class A Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) with double/triple, hazardous materials, and tank endorsements.
• Must possess acceptable Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) based on hiring standards.
• Must meet all Department of Transportation (DOT) regulatory requirements under section 391 of the Federal Motor Carrier (FMC) regulations.
• Operate tractor-trailer combination, including doubles (and triples, where applicable) and/or straight trucks.
• Perform daily pre-trip and safety inspections on equipment.
• Hook/unhook trailers and converter dollies to/from a tractor and/or trailer.
• Perform freight handling using appropriate motorized and manual equipment, including forklift, pallet jack, and hand truck.
• Secure freight inside trailers using appropriate tools and supplies, including pallets, straps, and rope.
• Recoup/repair damaged freight when necessary.
• Verify and complete required documentation and reports.
• Comply with hazardous material regulations and procedures.
• Collect cash or checks for freight charges as required and maintain required documentation.
• Follow dispatch instructions and communicate with dispatch as required, including delays, arrivals, and equipment problems.
• Communicate with customers to determine pick-up or delivery needs and solicit additional business.
• Demonstrate internal and external customer service.
• Ask for additional business from customers and provide leads to sales for potential new opportunities.
• Perform chaining of vehicle tires.
• Perform job duties of a road driver or a dock employee where operationally necessary.
• Comply with all applicable laws/regulations, as well as company policies/procedures.
• Drive throughout shift on all types of roads and in all types of weather.
• Ability to count and perform basic math, with or without a calculator.
• Ability to lift/carry hand freight weighing up to 100 pounds several times a week.
• Ability to sit for extended periods of time, bend, twist, squat, climb in and out of truck.
• Ability to follow instructions and complete required training.
• Ability to work independently and/or as a team member.
• Ability to withstand exposure to noise and vibration, dust and diesel fumes, and hazardous materials shipped and packaged under DOT regulations.
• Basic written and verbal communication skills (documentation, communication with peers, supervisors, etc.)
• Hours may vary due to operational need.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.